27 March 2009

Freedom of...

It seems that I might be on a 'burn list' so to speak with some people. I was told growing up that everyone is entitled to their own opinions (hence why we have critics); but I think sometimes people take criticism and misconstrue it as a slam against someone. As I have mentioned in my critique of Twilight, I thought certain cast members could have done a bit better in their performances. Do not get me wrong, I liked the movie. I love the series and I think that they did a good job trying to capture the essence of the book and remain true to it. As a movie goer, actress, and a person with an opinion I state that. I don't have a problem with any actor, especially if I have never met them, but what I critique is their performances. Some people may not like what I have to say because maybe they can't see past it the character; but since I know how hard some of these actors work on projects and their dedication, I respect them for their work.

Take for instance when Interview With A Vampire came out. I saw Tom Cruise's performances in other movies but was a little peeved when I heard about him playing my beloved Lestat De Lioncourt! I was thinking Tom Cruise as Lestat?? WTF!! But then I saw it and it was brilliant! He basically transformed himself into Lestat and it won people over, including Ms. Anne Rice herself! Sometimes as actors we need to go to that other place to make the reaction true, and some do not.

What I am trying to say is do not knock someone for their opinion. We are all fans in one way or the other and sometimes we agree to disagree. It is not a slam on someone, but more or less an astute observation. People have critiqued my performances and some were good, some were bad. But, atleast they were noticing. And the constructive critiques benefit a person, especially if it comes from the fans! If a person doesn't notice something about you, then that means you weren't memorable in the first place...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Share..Comment..You know you want to.....